In the middle of People’s Park is a now almost totally disused pavilion that was scheduled for demolition last year. In May 2018 a Community Interest Company (People’s Park Cafe) was formed by four local residents surrounded by a wider steering committee to take over the pavilion in order to turn it into a vibrant and viable community cafe.
We want to change this space into something the community is proud of that can facilitate greater use of the park. Specifically, this will be of benefit to the local community by:
- Running a health-conscious and ethically-minded cafe
- Providing refreshments and toilet facilities for casual park users
- Providing facilities for existing sports and community groups
- Facilitating a welcoming and fit-for-purpose community meeting space
- Working in partnerships to develop a ‘Welcome Hub’
The project is currently in the consultation stage, as we ask people what they’d like to see. Keep an eye on the news page to see where we’re up to.